Education Conferences and Scheduled Workshops
Scheduled workshops are provided twice a year at the Spring and Fall Education Conferences. Attendees choose from a list of morning workshops and afternoon workshops. The conferences also include a networking luncheon for members of different co-ops to get together. Conference brochures and registration forms for each Spring and Fall conference are sent to co-op offices and are posted on this web site approximately two months prior to the conference date. From time to time, COCHF may offer other scheduled workshops – information on those events will also be sent to co-ops and posted on this website under “What’s New”. You can also join the COCHF mailing list here to receive updates by email.
A Portable Workshop is…
- a customized workshop or training session designed for your co-op and delivered to a group of your co-op’s choice,
- presented as a 3-hour or a 6-hour workshop depending on the content,
- scheduled for a weekday evening or weekend day as requested by the co-op,
- tailored specifically to meet the needs of your co-op, and
- delivered to any number of persons whom your co-op wants to attend the workshop.
Topics for Portable Workshops
A Portable Workshop can be provided for most topics related to the governance and management of a co-op:
- Board Training
- Financial Management
- Legal Issues
- Property and Maintenance
- Co-op as Employer
If you are not sure which workshop to request, COCHF can provide assistance to discuss your co-op’s training needs, identify what workshop(s) would be appropriate, and help you to identify the topics that should be included.
Board Basics Portable Workshop
Board Basics is our most popular workshop. It is a 6-hour workshop providing an overview of the duties and responsibilities of a housing co-op’s Board and its Directors. The content of the workshop is as follows and can be specialized for the needs of the co-op.
- What the Board Does – duties and responsibilities
- Structure of a Co-op – what is a co-op and organization
- Legal Responsibilities – requirements and liability
- Financial Responsibilities – budgets and spending
- Board Meetings – effective and productive meetings
- Planning – looking after a secure future
- Co-op as Employer – management and staff
- Committees – purpose and relation to Board
- Co-op Community – creating a healthy community
Portable Workshop Fees for COCHF Members
3-hour Workshop: $300
6-hour workshop: $500
Request a Portable Workshop
1. An authorized person completes the Portable Workshop Request Form. The co-op decides on the topics it wants included in the workshop and the dates people are available. The members agree to attend on the requested date(s). Please provide alternate dates (2nd and 3rd) preferences) that the workshop can be held. A 6-hour workshop can be made into two 3-hour sessions on different days.
Workshops can be either 3 or 6 hours; however Board Training is a 6-hour workshop. Board Training can be combined with Board Planning.
For Board Training, see the Board Training Brochure.
2. Return the request form to COCHF by email or by fax to the address shown on the form. The earlier the co-op can submit the request will mean the more likely the preferred date can be arranged. The COCHF office is available to assist in the completion of the request form if needed.
3. Upon receipt of the request, COCHF will arrange for an instructor who will then contact the person designated by your co-op to discuss the workshop details and to finalize the start and finish time and needs for room set-up.
4. COCHF will send a letter of acknowledgement to the co-op stating that the workshop will proceed on the date agreed to and the fee that will be charged. One-half of the workshop fee will be payable 14 days prior to the workshop date. (The balance of the fee will be payable after the workshop is held).
COCHF has trained instructors who have a wealth of experience in the housing co-op sector:
- Kim Connors
- Keith Moyer
- Linda Nagel
- Carine Nind
- Scott Piatokowski
Online learning resources for co-op members and staff, including Board Basics, is now available online from the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada’s website at online learning.